Amherst Lions Club Celebrates 50 Years of Service
AMHERST –The Amherst Lions Club is celebrating their 50th year of service in the community. Established in 1972, we’ve had a membership from a low of 42 to a high of 66. In that time, we’ve estimated raising funds over 1 million dollars and service hours of approximately 300,000!
We couldn’t be prouder of what we’ve accomplished and look forward to 50 more years of service. What do Lions do? We hold numerous fundraising events that the community has come to know and love:
• Fire & Ice Chili Cookoff at Amherst Middle School in February, 6 years
• Pancake Breakfast at Wilkins School on Palm Sunday, 48 years
• 5K Race with a BBQ, June 11, new this year!
• Concerts on the Green in June & July, provide hotdogs & popcorn
• July 4th Bicycle & Float Parade, 49 years; Citizen of the Year
• Car Show in September, 11 years
• Old Home Days on the Green in September; provide chili, hotdogs
• Craft Fair at Amherst Middle School in December, 42 years
• Tree Lighting Spaghetti Dinner in December.
In addition to these events, we volunteer our time with the following projects & services plus many more:
• Deliver food & supplies to those in need.
• Test for vision & hearing problems at local kindergartens & daycares.
• Award academic scholarships to local high school graduates.
• Donated life-saving equipment to the Amherst Fire Department.
• Deliver books for babies born Jan 13.
• Make pillowcases for children in difficult situations.
• Developed and maintain the Amherst Bridge of Flowers.
• Halloween/Doors on the Green.
100% of the net profits from our fundraising go to those in need throughout the area through charities like Share, Lions Sight & Hearing, Anne Marie House, Bridges, Meals on Wheels, Northeast Deaf & Hard of Hearing, Future In Sight, Dog Sight, our own Community Chest and more.
We are holding a 50th Anniversary Gala at LaBelle Winery, May 25, 2022. If you would like to attend, please send in the invitation included by May 15, 2022.
Lions Roar 5k Race and Family Fun Day
AMHERST – Are you ready to challenge yourself? The Amherst Lions Club is bringing another great event for the community, Lion’s Roar 5K Race, Saturday, June 11, on the Amherst Town Common by Town Hall (2 Main Street) starting at 10am! This event is designed as a fast course to get runners ready for future summer racing events. The racecourse starts on Church Street by the town green, loops through several back roads and ends at the green. It is open to individuals aged 13 and over. All race proceeds will go to support local community needs.
Race registration is now open, with an early bird price of $20 through May 20, 2022! Starting on May 21, the price goes up to $25. The registration will close June 9. The cost after that is $30 for late registering on-site up to 30 minutes before the race.
The first 100 on-line registrants will also receive a race t-shirt! All race participants will pick up the race bib on the day of the race, race bibs and race swagwill be available for pick up from 8:30 AM to 9:45 AM.
There will be awards for first place in 3 age groups (13-18, 19-40, 41 and up) men and women. Awards will be given around 11:15 AM. Results will be posted online, official time kept.
To see the details, including the map, and to register go to: https://runsignup.com/Race/NH/Amherst/LionRoar5k
The club is also planning a Family Fun Day after the race, 11-3, so you and the family can relax on the green. Bring a blanket and we’ll have Hotdogs, Hamburgers or Sausage meals that includes chips, a drink and dessert! Games and entertainment are being scheduled as well. Check out our website at https://www.e-clubhouse.org/sites/amherstnh for more details.