Historic Amherst SUNCATCHERS – Still Available
AMHERST – The Nipmugs chapter of The Questers has been producing a limited-edition glass suncatcher with an original-design Historic Amherst motif every year since 1989, made by a N.H. artisan in a variety of colors. All proceeds go to preservation and restoration of historic artifacts and buildings.
The two latest suncatchers, 2021 and 2020, can be purchased at Mike’s Auto in Amherst Village. For other years’ editions, call Robin at 672-8147.
Although most of the earliest years are sold out, of course, there are still several left of the following list, and onesie-twosies of some other years. The whole collection is on display at the Chapel Museum.
Atherton Law Office (c. 1796)
2021 (in pale lilac, some nearly clear with just a swirl of color) features the last surviving 18th/19th-century “office building” in Amherst (located at 9 Courthouse Road in the Village, now a home, still single story). The first owner-occupant was Register of Probate and the town’s first postmaster, so the building also is the earliest remaining Post Office.
19th C. Tavern
2020 (in deep rose-purple) features the house that served as a tavern-inn from 1813-1836, conveniently situated (at 244 Boston Post Road) on the old post road to Boston as well as the route between new (in 1830s) Ponemah train station and the Village. This was also the site of the home of first settler Lamson who arrived 1734/5.
Stone Cape (1839)
2019 (in green) depicts an architecturally unique house (located at 55 Christian Hill Road) that features granite blocks on the front facade & the back, and brick-work on its sides. Created by a local mason named Jesse C. Patterson on his own property, was it meant to be a display of his skills – or a labor of love intended for himself?
Clark School (1937)
2017 (in amethyst) celebrated the 80th anniversary of the first schoolhouse in Amherst built for children from all over town. The town had transformed into a single school district in 1881, and as the rural one-room schoolhouses were gradually phased out by 1935, a new school was needed to relieve overcrowding of the Brick School (1854 vintage) which had been serving all grades through high school.
Town Hall (1823)
2016 (in green) features the third and final County courthouse in town, constructed of brick in 1823 at private expense on Town-owned land (conveyed to the County) as a successful bid to retain Amherst’s position as the County seat as the State was making adjustments to its county divisions. The building is depicted after the 1828 addition of the original one-story wings, one of which newly housed the Registry of Deeds. When the County ceased to utilize the building as its courthouse – all county records were transferred to Nashua in 1879 – the building & lot reverted to ownership by the Town of Amherst and fully became Amherst Town Hall.
2020 Historic Amherst suncatcher
Corn Crib (before 1847)
2013 (in brown) features the last surviving corn crib in Amherst (located on south side of road, opposite 82 Baboosic Lake Road), once a common type of agricultural outbuilding. Named for its shape, it is raised to protect the harvest from rodents and other critters. This one, which was the “corn house” owned in 1847 by farmer Josiah Merrill Parker, has been owned since 2003 by the Town of Amherst as part of an open space easement and was restored under the auspices of Amherst’s Heritage Commission.
Hildreth-Jones Tavern (1760)
2012 (in aqua) depicts the earliest tavern in the Village of newly-incorporated Town of Amherst (located at 18 Jones Road). At that time the tavern was in a prime business location opposite the first meetinghouse, which became the first county courthouse in 1771.
Each suncatcher captures a piece of Amherst’s interesting history. Aren’t we fortunate to have such a rich assortment of surviving historic structures! And what a lovely display these suncatchers make in a window.
2021 Historic Amherst suncatcher
Amherst Lions Club Red Sox Ticket Raffle Fundraiser
Opportunity of a lifetime!
The Amherst Lions Club is excited to announce that through the generosity of an anonymous donor, we are raffling off four (4) tickets for the Saturday, August 21st game against the Texas Rangers at Fenway. Included with the 4 tickets will be $100 cash for parking and/or food. These tickets have a cash value of at least $350 per seat but are really priceless when you factor in how long it would take for a season ticket holder to wait to move to behind home plate, so we conservatively estimate that this total package is worth thousands of dollars. These seats just aren’t available. In short, it is the chance of a lifetime for one lucky winner and their family!!!!
Be on TV for every pitch! Imagine you and your family or friends being on TV the whole game!
So, buy your raffle tickets online today, 7/6-8/9. The winner will be announced on 8/11/21.
1 ticket for $10, 6 tickets for $50, 13 tickets for $100 and 67 tickets for $500.
Did we mention that it's Field Box tickets...behind home plate!!!
Order here: https://www.e-clubhouse.org/sites/amherstnh or scan the QR Code on the flyer.
Mail check payable to and mail to Amherst Lions Charities, Inc., PO Box 1105, Amherst, NH 03031 (include your name, address, email, phone # and the quantity.)
Questions/Comments email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All profits will go to the Amherst Lions Club charities funds, which are used to support local needs.